The Volvo Ocean Race 2017-2018 will follow a new route, which brings the largest amounts of Nautical miles sailed through the Southern Ocean, compared to previous VOR routes.
This is the Route with indicated the Start-Finish locations.
|Route VolvoOceanRace 2017-2018 rev1|
These are the VolvoOceanRace 2017-2018 participating Cities
- Alicante Leg 1: Alicante to Lisbon, Start: 22 October 2017, a kind of short sprint as a warm up.
- Inport race Alicante: 14 October
- Lisbon Leg 2: Lisbon to Cape Town, Start: 5 November, and a free route choice without the Fernando de Noronha mar.
- Inport race Lisbon: 28 October
- Cape Town
challenging race, through the Indian Ocean.
InPort race Cape Town: 8 December
- Melbourne (rev1)
Leg 4: Melbourne to HongKong, Start: 2 January 2018, a 5,700 Nm challenging race, through the Tasman Sea.
- No InPort race in Melbourne.
- Hong Kong Leg : Hong Kong to Guangzhou, a non-scoring leisure sailing trip.
- InPort race HongKong: 27 January
- Guangzhou Leg 5: Guangzhou to Auckland, Start: 7 February a leg to the halfway mark
- InPort race Guangzhou: 4 February
- Auckland Leg 6: Auckland to Itajai, Start: 18 March, a familiar route rounding Cape Horn.
- InPort race Auckland: 10 March
- Itajai Leg 7: Itajai to Newport, Start: 22 April, with some surprises in the Doldrums and into the colder climate
- InPort race Itajai: 20 April
- Newport Leg 8: Newport to Cardiff, Start: 20 May,a traditional Atlantic route but more northerly
- InPort race Newport: 19 May
- Cardiff Leg 9: Cardiff to Gothenburg, Start: 10 June,with a route north of the British islands
- InPort race Cardiff: 8 June
- Gothenburg Leg 10: Gotherburg to The Hague, Start: 21 June ,the final End-Sprint
- InPort race Gothenburg: 17 June
- The Hague THE FINISH for the VolvoOceanRace 2017-2018.
A Stop-Over normally consist of:
- Finish of previous Leg,
- a practice race,
- some 4 Pro-Am races,
- an In-Port race, counting in the scoreboard
- a Start circuit for the following Leg.
Dates for Starts of Legs at the different cities to follow as well as the dates for In-Port races.